Bacon. I’m pretty sure I could write a post that is just that word and people would be interested in it. Cured pork belly is just one of those magical foods that people love. It can be used so many different ways and it’s salty savory flavor gives it a real punch in any recipe. I like bacon enough that I’ve even made a batch on my own!
Taking this all into consideration, when I heard that my local Whole Foods Market was holding a “Bacon Smackdown” I couldnt resist entering. The premise is simple, make up a recipe that features bacon. With that strict criteria in mind, I came up with this simple and delicious recipe as my entry.
For awhile I racked my brain over how grand or challenging my recipe should be. Ultimately I decided that it wasn’t complexity or the number of ingredients that make something delicious but rather the utilization of the freshest and most in season ingredients you can get your hands on. Here in Massachusetts the freshest thing you can get your hands on right now would have to be tomatoes. So with bacon and tomatoes as my core ingredients I just built upon the idea till I came up with BAT’s with blue cheese, or Bacon Avocado Tomato Canapes with Blue Cheese. These little guys are perfect to whip up in a big batch and have as an appetizer or snack during your last few summer barbecues.
Bacon Avocado Tomato Canapes with Blue Cheese
- 6 Strips Good Bacon (I went with black forest)
- 3 Different Colored Heirloom Tomatoes
- Raw Milk Blue Cheese
- 1 Ripe Avocado
1. Cut the slices of bacon in half so you have 12 half slices and fry them up in a pan. If you’ve got a cast iron pan definitely use it, as that’ll give you the best results.
2. Once your bacon is nice and crispy place it on a paper towel and let it cool. In the mean time get to slicing, you want nice slices of your heirloom tomatoes, avocado and blue cheese.
3. Now that your bacon is cooled time to get constructing. Cut in half all the strips again so now you have 24 little strips of bacon, think of these as the “bread” of your Canapes. Place a slice of tomato, blue cheese, and avocado in between two slices of bacon. You’ve done it. Startlingly easy right?
The beauty of these snacks is that all the flavors play so well off of each other. Normally when I eat avocado I’ll give it a shake of salt and pepper to help bring out the flavors. But the saltiness of the bacon does that for you, add in the sweetness of the tomatoes and the creamy powerful flavor of the blue cheese and you’ve got quite the balanced snack that took very little effort to whip up!
I got a ton of great pictures of everything and wasn’t sure how to incorporate them into the post. So how about we have a little picture viewing session? It’ll be like I went on vacation to the grocery store and now I’m forcing you to look at all the fun pictures!